Saturday 21 September 2013

Crochet Neon Chevrons



I've been obsessing about crocheting with neon colours for ages now. After finishing my ripple blanket, I really missed working on it, so I thought chevrons would be a similar project. As usual, I couldn't quite find one I got on with so I made up my own. 

Here is the pattern for the chevrons with an option to square off the edges if you are making a cushion cover like mine. You could use this for a blanket or anything else you would like a chevron pattern on.

So here is the chevron pattern I worked out. It is a properly pointed one, rather than a soft ripple as the blanket I made before. I wanted the chevroniest chevrons I could make!



3mm crochet hook (or 4mm if you are making a blanket - for better drape)
Double knit yarn in your chosen colours
Scissors
Yarn needle



US Terms throughout:
ch = Chain
sk = Skip
st = Stitch
hdc = Half Double Crochet
dc = Double Crochet



Make your starting chain to your desired width.
You need to make 21 ch for each chevron, plus 12 ch at each end for the half chevrons and turning ch...

...So when you know how many chevrons wide you want your piece to be, times that number by 21 then add 24 for the two half chevrons and turning ch.

To work out how many chevrons you will need, make a test swatch with 43 chains and follow the pattern a few rows to see how it turns out. You can then measure your swatch and do the maths!

As a guide I made mine four chevrons wide, plus two half chevrons - one each end - to fit a larger size  cushion. So thats 4x21=84, +24=108.

If you are like me and prone to winging it, just be prepared to buy a different size cushion inner than you originally had, or play it safe and make a blanket! They are not size critical!

The first 2ch counts as a stitch at the start of each row.

I hope that isn't too confusing. It really is the only fiddly part, once you start your first row you are away!



hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc in next 9ch, *sk2ch, hdc in next 9ch, 3hdc in next ch, hdc in next 9ch*

repeat between ** until 12ch remain, sk2ch, hdc in next 9ch, 2hdc in last ch.





ch2, turn, hdc in same st, hdc in next 9st, *sk2st, hdc in next 9st, 3hdc in next st, hdc in next 9st*, repeat between ** until 12st remain, sk2st, hdc in next 9st, 2hdc in last st.




Repeat row 2 until the piece reaches your desired length.

My stripes are 8 rows for the white, then 6 rows for the colour. You can make the stripes as narrow or wide as you like but it is easier if you stick to even numbers of rows for continuity.



ROW1:
Attach ending colour to last st of last row, ch1, turn, *sc in next 4 st (including the same st as the ch1), hdc in next 2 st, dc in next 2 st, dc2tog, tr in next st, dc2tog, dc in next 2 st, hdc in next2 st, sc in next 4 st.* Repeat between ** to end.

ROW2:
Ch1, turn, *sl st in first 2 st, sc in next 2 st, hdc in next 2 st, dc in next 3 st, tr in next st, dc in next 3 st, hdc in next 2 st, sc in next 2 st, sl st in next 2 st.* Repeat between ** to end.

ROW3:
Hdc in every st. Repeat for more rows as needed to square off the cushion.

VARIATION FOR BOTTOM EDGE:



For the bottom edge, turn the cushion 180 degrees and join the edge colour as per ROW1. Follow the instructions as above except for the first and last sections (where you need to fill in a half triangle).

To begin, ch4 (counts as tr), dc2tog, dc in next 2 st, hdc in next2 st, sc in next 4 st. Then follow as per ROW1 between ** up to the last half triangle. Then finish with - sc in next 4 st, hdc in next 2 st, dc in next 2 st, dc2tog, tr in last st.

On the next row begin with ch4 (counts as tr), dc in next 3 st, hdc in next 2 st, sc in next 2 st, sl st in next 2 st. Then repeat ROW2 between ** until the last half triangle and finish off with - sl st in first 2 st, sc in next 2 st, hdc in next 2 st, dc in next 3 st, tr in last st.

The last row is exactly as ROW3 above.

I added a round of single crochet stitches all the way around the edge of my square once the edge was finished so that when I attach the back I have a good foundation to stitch or crochet into.

You could make an identical piece for the back, or crochet a square of the same size using a different stitch pattern. The possibilities are endless!

I hope you have fun with this and if you want to share any of your creations with me tag me on facebook, twitter or instagram.

All the Best,
Anna x



As with all my patterns, please feel free to sell anything you make with this one, but don't sell the pattern. If you use the pattern elsewhere please link back to me for credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment