Thursday 12 June 2014

How to tie a slip knot



"Let's start at the very beginning..." Maria was a sensible girl if you ask me. I thoroughly agree that it is a very good place to start! But rather than Do, Re, Mi, in Crochet we generally begin with a slip knot. There are other ways to start when you are working special kinds of crochet but for your granny squares, doilies and blankets, a slip knot is what you will need to get started.

Some of you will have no problem mastering this while others (like myself once upon a time) will have a bit more difficulty and end up with a knot that doesn't slip, or a slip that won't knot! I have photographed every stage I go through when creating a slip knot and hopefully it should give you a fool proof guide to that most important crochet fundamental! This is my first Crochet School instruction so if anyone reads this and finds it is not helping I am looking for feedback please!


STEP 1: Use the right hook for your yarn
Before you start to crochet make sure you have the right yarn for your project and the right hook for that yarn. Don't do as I did and pick up any old yarn and hook combo, then wonder why your granny square looks like a holey lettuce leaf! All yarns have a label which gives needle size information. Just switch this for your crochet hook.

Hook Size Charts
Yarn Weight Charts

STEP 2: Make a loop at the end
Now you are ready to start crocheting. Have your hook ready but for now just make a loop in the end of the yarn like I have here.

If it helps to start with, place it down like I have so you can compare with the photo. Sometimes it all looks a bit different when you hold it up in the air. That comes with practice and you will soon be wondering what all the fuss was about!


STEP 3: Pull up through the loop
Next, take the top strand (connected to the ball) and pull a loop up from under your first loop.

STEP 4: Insert the hook in the centre loop
Pop your hook under the new loop and over the old loop as shown.

STEP 5: Pull short end to tighten knot
Pull the short end of the yarn to tighten the base of the knot. Keep hold of the hook as you do so and the main loop (it is referred to as the working loop in patterns) will stay quite loose.
STEP 6: Pull long end to tighten onto hook
Pull the long end (connected to the ball) of the yarn whilst continuing to hold the hook and it will tighten the working loop onto the hook. You are all set and ready to begin crocheting!

Practice this several times to get used to it. If you have done it right you should be able to slip the knot off the hook, pull the short end and the whole thing will come undone so you can do it again.









I hope that you have found this post useful. If you are a beginner crocheter and want to ask my advice about anything hooky related please comment or email me and I will do my best to help. Think of my as your crochet Agony-Aunt - The one with the blue rinse and the Werthers Originals in her handbag!

Please feel free to use my tutorials to help in any way with your crochet projects. I am happy for you to share them, just make sure to link back to my site by way of acknowledgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment